Last night, my friend and I were discussing our writing. She has been working on a memoir piece for quite some time and is considering it from more of a psychological perspective; whereas, my central piece is fictional, and I am in the process of developing my characters, their conflicts, and the central plot that brings them all together. Throughout the conversation, she asked me many questions about the characters, their backgrounds, their motivations, and their conflicts. In doing so, she forced me to consider details and possibilities that I either had not thought of at all just yet or that I had not taken the time to think through on my own. Opening up to a friend and sharing my writing process with her helped me to rethink where I am with the story and where I want to go with it. Feedback is important, and writers do not have to go it alone. Talking about it can help put writing into perspective and bring about great insight for future practice.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Talk About It
Last night, my friend and I were discussing our writing. She has been working on a memoir piece for quite some time and is considering it from more of a psychological perspective; whereas, my central piece is fictional, and I am in the process of developing my characters, their conflicts, and the central plot that brings them all together. Throughout the conversation, she asked me many questions about the characters, their backgrounds, their motivations, and their conflicts. In doing so, she forced me to consider details and possibilities that I either had not thought of at all just yet or that I had not taken the time to think through on my own. Opening up to a friend and sharing my writing process with her helped me to rethink where I am with the story and where I want to go with it. Feedback is important, and writers do not have to go it alone. Talking about it can help put writing into perspective and bring about great insight for future practice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It's great to have friends that help you along your journey. I'm sure you will cherish that. And yes they are my birthday invitations that you saw on my blog. You should have seen me after I had made a dozen of those but since it's my 40th I thought I should make an effort.
Whitney, it's a pleasure to read a blog that's so thoughtful and erudite (and accessible) from one so young. I am adding your blog to my favorites, because not only do you supply some extremely useful ideas and tips on writing, but you are young enough to show my college students that being young (to me, you are VERY young) is no bar to being brave about writing.
You were above me @ SITS so I thought I would stop by and say Hello! :)
Whitney, stopping by from SITS. I joined a critique group last year to help with my writing and it has been an eye opener. They challenge me to become a better writer. I totally agree with your perspective. Sharing your work can give you great insight.
A fellow SITSta dropping by to show some love!
I absolutely agree with you!
Post a Comment