Thursday, April 09, 2009

Currently Reading...

Ovid's Metamorphoses. I bought this book about 2 years ago because I finally realized how many literary allusions that I had been missing out on, and along with it, I purchased Edith Hamilton's Mythology as companion guide. Both have proven to be rich resources for me in my personal reading, my academic reading, and my teaching of high school English. I haven't read Ovid straight through yet, but I have read many stories at the beginning and various stories throughout as I have run across characters on my reading. 

I love to read the story of Pyramis and Thisbe to my students after the mechanical's play in A Midsummer Night's Dream, and students usually have mixed emotions: "So Shakespeare didn't come up with this stuff on his own," or "Cool! That's also like Romeo and Juliet!". And every now and then, a student will say, "Hey, did he cite his sources?!" Never a dull moment with high school students... Oh yeah, back to Ovid... Yes, he's great! I'm going to try to finish reading this book cover to cover.

No comments: