Monday, June 07, 2010

Currently Reading...




... The Alchemist, the first novel in The Secrets of Nicholas Flamel series by Irish author Michael Scott. I started the book two days ago and am almost finished with it. It begins in medias res and is action packed throughout, making for an exciting read altogether. I plan to read as much of this series as possible by the end of summer. Of the six books in this series, four of them are published and on bookshelves now. The final two will be published in 2011 and 2012. It is considered to be a teen lit series, but I believe it is a novel for all ages, especially people interested in mythology and folklore. The character Nicholas Flamel is based on a person who really existed and whose life is surrounded by folklore. Scott has infused this novel with a healthy dose of legend and myth, and that is one of its biggest selling points for me. I bought this book on the same day that I purchased The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales. I enjoy realistic fiction with a touch of fantasy here and there (although this novel has more than just a touch of fantasy).

2 comments:

Kate W. said...

hhhmmm. I've been close to starting this series many times, but always resisted. I worried that it might be too action-adventure oriented. But your recommendation makes me want to go ahead!

Whitney said...

Kate, although it is action-adventure oriented, many elements of mythology and folklore are woven into the plot, which is why I am enjoying it so much, and why I think you will like - or at least appreciate - it as well. :)