I once read a biography of the Nobel prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez that said that Garcia Marquez locked himself in a room for two years to write a novel while his wife cared for his children and household.
As for me, I am a middle school language arts teacher, wife, daughter, granddaughter, sister, friend... etc., and writer falls somewhere at the bottom of the list. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have two years to sit, think, and write. My work life already pours over into my home life. Grading papers and lesson planning while watching t.v. or taking road trips is definitely not the most exciting part of my job. Taking time out to write while balancing teaching and home life seems nearly impossible for me.
So, Mr. Garcia Marquez, my question is: How did you find the time... and the money... to hide away and write for two years?
1 comment:
Are women simply more busier then what they use to be because I'm finding it hard to back time for crafting. (It's the only think that keeps me sane).
Post a Comment