Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Arouse! for you must justify me."

I've been reading a lot of Whitman lately, and I came across this poem today.  As a writer, I believe it is important to receive constructive criticism and feedback from a viable audience in order to know how I can improve my writing.  Additionally, I look to the greats of the past to find samples of writing techniques that I would like to practice, emulate, and make my own.

The following poem is from a poetry anthology entitled Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman.

Poets to Come

Poets to come! oraters, singers, musicians to come!
Not to-day is to justify me and answer what I am for,
But you, a new brood, native athletic, continental, greater than before known,
Arouse! for you must justify me.

I myself but write one or two indicative words for the future,
I but advance a moment only to wheel and hurry back in the darkness.
I am a man who, sauntering along without fully stopping, turns a casual look upon you and then averts his face,
Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
Expecting the main things from you.

1 comment:

Fiauna said...

Being open to constructive criticism is something that I've recently embraced. i think it has taken my writing to a new level.

Thanks for sharing the poem