Saturday, April 25, 2009

(3.14) The Mothers McGhee

The Mothers McGhee


 

Elizabeth McGhee greeted her granddaughters at the front door of her home, welcoming them each inside with a warm smile and a hug before they entered the living room.

    "Go on out to the back patio, girls. Find a seat, and I'll bring out some tea!"

    "Thanks, Granna," replied Courtney, as she followed her sisters out the back door. Before she took her seat at the picnic table, a voice from behind her said, "Come here, girl!"

    "Mom!" exclaimed Courtney. "I wasn't sure if you would make it or not." Donna McGhee walked around to the back of Granna's house, suspecting that the girls and Granna would be celebrating there.

    "I wouldn't miss your first visit back! You know that. Employers are understanding of these things." As the girls settled around the picnic table with their mother, Granna brought out her signature summertime sweet tea. The weather wasn't quite warm enough just yet, but according to Granna, this was "as good an occasion as any summer" to drink her sweet tea. In fact, this was cause for celebration.

    In the 7 months since Courtney left for college, Donna and Granna had been adjusting to their new lifestyle. Having just moved in with Granna 2 weeks before Courtney's big move, Donna had only just begun to acclimate to the changes. Although she knew they moved in to help Granna as she was encountering more and more physical challenges as her age progressed, there were many times that Donna wondered if somehow Granna were actually caring for her instead. At any rate, she appreciated Granna's morning and afterschool help with the girls.

    Having sent Courtney, her oldest daughter, away to college to build a strong future for herself, Donna was working hard to find her own perfect job and support her girls. Until the separation, Donna had always stayed at home with her children while Donald worked at the university. Often she thought, Remember, no time has been wasted. I spent most of the happiest years of my life with him. I have my girls. However, in the back of her mind, the pressures of finding a choice career were there. Donald would contribute financially, but his contrite efforts were unwanted. For now, she would follow her mantra that she always shared with her daughters, "Do your best." Do your best, Donna. That's as much as anyone can do.

    Donna and the rest of the inhabitants of Granna's household enjoyed having lunch with Courtney that spring afternoon, but it seemed to end all too soon.

    "Don't stay away so long this time, baby," said Granna.

    "We'll be up in a couple of weeks. Are you sure you don't want me to drive you back to the school? Why doesn't your friend come pick you up here? I would like to meet him," said Donna as she passed Courtney's handbag to her. Courtney replied, "No, don't worry about it. You'll meet him sometime, I guess. He just isn't from this area, he knows the drop-off spot at the school, and I don't want him to get lost."

    "It is only a couple of blocks away."

    "I know, Mom. He's also on a tight time schedule today, and I don't want to make him late for his interview this evening." Courtney said her goodbyes and walked the stretch back to the school building, collecting her thoughts along the way.

No comments: